After a long design process and a few hick-ups which meant designs needed to be re-visited, I finally got a finished piece! I know my finishing of my pieces definitely needs work and it’s rather frustrating that I have not quite nailed that yet, the design however, I am happy with, despite the set backs.
- 2mm Square wire frame.
- 0.7mm silver sheet used for square forms and support for cast element.
- Cast element with 3 resin-filled compartments. (I attempted to set a 3mm citrine stone, however, with this being a new stone setting method it unfortunately didn’t go to plan. As I was chiselling out metal to make a ledge for the stone to sit in, the supporting wall which would be used to secure the stone in place kept crumbling away. Very disappointed with this but there is nothing I can do about it now).
- I mixed a yellow resin paste to my resin mixture and applied this to the 3 compartments and the odd geometric shape with the square forms.
- I cut little cubes from the 2mm wire and added this to the frame.
- I used tube which I sliced into to create the decorated rivet effect.
- Steel wire has been used for the brooch pin.
- I added a silver wire beam to form the squares over, adding more depth and stability to the piece.
- I coated the back of the geometric shape and the sheet silver in yellow pigmented resin also, as I wanted to add an element of interest to the back as well as the front.
- The square forms were given a satin finish using a frosting wheel as I’m not fond of a high shine finish.